Thursday, April 15, 2010

Media Journal Assignment #2

Kelan Caccavella
Professor Bock
Media Journal Assignment #2
4/16/10


Thursday April 15, 2010 I kept a record of the advertisements from the media that I observed throughout the day. With each entry I wrote down where I saw it and what effect it had one me. With the list I made and the small descriptions of each entry I can analyze my findings on my media advertisement exposure. The first advertisement I heard was on the radio around 1:25 pm on the way to my 1:30 class. The radio ad dealt with promotions for bars around the reading and Allentown area. The radio ad had little effect on me because I am not familiar with the schools surrounding area. The next exposure to an advertisement from the media came at 5pm when I started to watch the Phillies game on Comcast sports network. The ads that came on around that time were ones such as Hotelwedding.com that particular ad had no effect on me because I am not thinking of getting married. Many Verizon and Xfinity ads came on and were talking about phone and cable services. Those ads catch my interest sort of because I have the Verizon network for my phone. During the baseball game behind home plate there were billboard ads for things such as ToccoBell, Stubhub, Powerball,and Budweiser. The ads behind home plate and featured throughout the stadium and visible to the view at home watching TV all caught my interest in some way. I have eaten Tacco bell before and Stubhub is a great online ticket resource. I have played the lottery before and I have enjoyed Budweiser beer. Back to the commercials some that aired around 6:15 pm were Coors light beer, Ford Trucks, and Lowes department store. All of those except the coors light beer are not targeted to me at all. Most of the commercials that are featured during The Phillies baseball game were not targeted towards my age group. They seemed to be featured towards an older crowed with expendable income who can spend their money on better cable service and a new truck or SUV. Another reason why these commercials on Comcast sports net seem to be aimed at an older crowed is because a lot of them are for travel websites and wedding planning websites and home improvement department stores. Although there were some ads aired that did seem to be targeted at people in my age group and they were the beer ads and the ads featured in the stadium. The ads that appeared behind home plate were targeted at all sports, fast food, lottery, and beer fans. Later that night after the game around 10pm I was watching the cartoon network and the ads that came on then were all geared toward a younger crowed even sometimes an adolescent crowd. Ads included such things as AXE deodorant spray and Xbox video games. Ads like these seem to be targeted at kids in their early teens not so much seniors in college. Many different fast food restaurants were advertised as well , and those ads target any fast food customer. Most of the ads seen on Comcast sports net were all about life planning events like weddings and home improvement facilities and family friendly SUV’s those ads all seemed like ones aimed at people who are just starting a family. They really do not resonate well with me personally. The ads about different beers and food establishments I can at least relate to whether or not use that product in the specific ad. The ads on the cartoon network seem to be for the interest of younger kids ages 12-17. During sports programming the networks seem to think that mostly families and older lower middle aged men are watching the channel and on cartoon network they seen to aim their commercials at younger kids. None of the ads that I saw today really meant anything to me some I could relate to others made no sense at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment